Step by Step Procedure
The principles that should accompany the CAT completion, in order to make it an active and effective means of self-reflection are: honesty, transparency, and involvement of all members of National Board and key decision makers including staff members.
1. Identify all the people that need to be involved. It is recommended to assign a team for each different area of the assessment. When possible, each team should be led by the member of the National Board who is responsible for the area of work. The CAT is a participatory process, which requires real teamwork. For best results, it suggested to include everyone involved in key leadership roles.
2. Decide how you want to use the CAT. The tool has been designed to be as flexible as possible. You can choose how you use it. You may want to work through every element in every section, to identify your strengths and weaknesses and to decide on your priorities for improvement. Alternatively, you may prefer to begin by focussing only on the ‘essential’ indicators. Or, if you already have some idea of your development priorities, you might choose to focus on one or two sections (for example, you could decide to use the CAT to help you evaluate your current provision for young people in Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting)
3. Allocate a period of time to conduct the exercise (depending on organisation’s structure).
4. Nominate a trained facilitator to maximise process management and learning
5. On the day, introduce the tool and process to all involved in the assessment.
6. Organise parallel meetings of all directly involved in the different areas of the assessment which you have decided to tackle. The aim is to discuss the standards related to their area of work and assess where the organisation currently stands.
7. If you want, you can provide evidence for each choice to reinforce your choices during the CAT completion.
8. Have the group feedback on the results and debrief.
9. Evaluate and share feedback to WAGGGS on the tool and process via a short online survey. Survey is available in Campfire.